Ahi Tuna (Yellowfin) Steaks Grilled with a Mediterranean Flair. Yellowfin Tuna or Ahi Tuna is usually served either Raw, as in sushi; Seared or Grilled. This recipe is a bit of a cross between seared Italian style and Spanish grilled.
Minutes to Prepare: 15
- 4 5oz Uncooked Fresh or Frozen ( thawed) Ahi Tuna Steaks – 1 inch thick
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt – Kosher
- Lemon Juice from 1 wedge of lemon 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp Cracked black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped oregano or 1/4 tsp dried
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or dash crushed dried
- 1 tsp finely chopped basil or 1/4 tsp dried
- Garlic, 1 clove minced fine
- Preheat Outside Grill on Medium High setting when you start your prep. Or start your charcoal grill about 30 minutes before you plan to grill tuna.
- Pat tuna steaks with paper towels to remove excess moisture then place in a shallow dish.
- Mix all spices with oil and lemon juice in a small bowl with a fork or wisk. Allow to rest for at least 5 minutes to blend together.
- Brush mixture on both sides of Tuna steaks and allow steaks to rest for another 5 minutes.
- Grill steaks on hot grill 2-5 minutes on each side to attain desired doneness. For well done there should still be some pinkness to the center. Most prefer barely warm red centers.
Be Brave, you will be surprised at the flavorful moistness and un-fishyness of this Tuna! Overcooking to a uniform color would be a sad waste of a great dish!
SparkRecipes – 8/20