AT TP we don’t have to put our salads on the back burner during the fall and winter! Salads can be satisfying and comforting. This kale salad makes use of delicious sweet potatoes and carrots – two veggies that are hearty and filling, yet kind to the waistline. It’s the perfect salad to eat while curled up with a good book by the fireplace and it’s filled with Vitamins A, C and K. Really there is no reason not to enjoy this salad. It’s the ultimate comfort food to get through the upcoming cold fall evenings!
KALE SALAD W/WARM ROASTED SWEET POTATOES AND CARROTS
• 1 bunch (whole head) Dino Kale, de-stemmed and washed
• 1 cup sweet potato, roasted and cut into ½ inch cubes
• 1 bunch (6 medium) carrots, roasted and cut into coins
• 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
• 1-1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
• Juice from ½ a lemon
• ¼ tsp ginger powder
• Pinch of salt, pepper
1. Chop the kale into bite sized pieces and add to a bowl.
2. Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients, and pour it over the kale.
3. Massage the kale for a minute or two, until it begins to become softer and less rigid.
4. Once the kale is nice and tender, add the sweet potato and carrots to the salad, and toss to combine.
NOTE: Massaging the kale with the dressing makes it easier for your body to digest, and it makes the texture amazing!
Serving size: ¼ recipe Calories: 121/Fat: 3.5g/Saturated fat: 0.5g/Unsaturated Fat: 3g/TransFat:0 g/Carbohydrates: 21g/Sugar: 6g/Sodium: 100mg/Fiber: 3.5g/Protein: 3g/Cholesterol: 0g.
Recipe from The Nutrition Twins – Healthy Fall recipes 9/2015