We love the combination of lemon zest and toasted breadcrumbs in this quick and easy pasta recipe for one. This healthy dinner is made with rotisserie chicken and quick-cooking spiralized zucchini and baby zucchini, so you get a complete meal in just 10 minutes.
- 2 teaspoons EVOO
- 1 cup spiralized Zucchini (See Tip)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ cup cooked whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon panko breadcrumbs, toasted (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat
- Add zucchini; cook for 1 minute
- Add spinach and chicken; cook for 1 more minute
- Season with salt and pepper; remove from heat
- Add cooked spaghetti, Parmesan, lemon zest and lemon juice – toss to combine
- Sprinkle w/panko and serve.
- Make your own zucchini noodles with a spiralizer; you’ll need 1 small zucchini (about 2 oz.) for 1 cup of zoodles. Another option: look for a package of fresh zucchini noodles in the produce dept.
- To toast panko breadcrumbs: Set a small skillet over medium heat. Add panko and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 2 minutes. For extra flavor, melt 1 tsp. butter in the pan before toasting the breadcrumbs. Note that you can do this step first, using the same pan you’ll use to prepare the rest of the recipe.
- NOTE: To make ahead: cook pasta up to 1 day ahead and refrigerate.
Sara Haas, R.D.N., L.D.N.; Source: Diabetic Living Magazine, Summer 2019; Eating Well.