This delicious salad brings together sweet peaches and basil with slightly briny, velvety fresh mozzarella. This quick to fix, simple salad has lots of vitamin C, beta-carotene, calcium and fiber. You can serve it as a light main dish or a side salad.
- 1 lb. peaches, sliced into wedges, then cut crosswise (frozen may be used
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, cut in 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil, torn into medium pieces
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- Pinch salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, optional
Directions: In large mixing bowl combine peaches, mozzarella and basil. Drizzle on oil and vinegar, add salt and pepper, if using, and toss gently until evenly coated. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 4 hours.
Makes 4 servings. Yield: about 5 cups. Per Serving: 211 calories, 12 g total fat (6 g saturated fat),13 g carbohydrate, 15 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 351 mg sodium.
By Michael Kastre and Dori Mitchell, MS, RDN – American Institute for Cancer Research