This wonderful recipe was cooked by the participants at our Healthy Entree’s cooking class this fall. The recipe is brought to you by Janet Oliver at BeWell Asheville. Our next Healthy Entree’s class will be offered in the spring of 2015 so if you missed the first session – no worries. You can join in the spring. The fall group LOVED IT! BIG THANK YOU to Janet – you’re awesome!
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Mixture:
- 1 ½ T. Canola oil (divided as noted in recipe)
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 ½ tsp salt (divided as noted in recipe)
- 1 large orange sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. cumin (can be eliminated if you don’t like cumin)
- 1 cup canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 6” corn tortillas (12)
- 6 oz. shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 can of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a medium bowl, toss the sweet potato with ½ T. oil, ½ tsp. salt and 1 tsp. cumin. Set aside.
- Heat a heavy ovenproof skillet (I use cast iron) over medium heat. Add 1 T. canola oil to the pan. Sauté onion and green pepper until lightly caramelized (about 5 minutes), stirring frequently. Stir in garlic and 1 tsp. salt. Add sweet potato to skillet and cook, stirring for one minute. Place pan in heated oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in black beans and black pepper (beans will warm through from the heat of the pan).
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Brush one side of a corn tortilla with oil and place, oil side down, in pan. Scatter a tablespoon of cheese over center of tortilla and cook until cheese is melted and tortilla is lightly golden on the underside but still flexible. Place on a cookie sheet and repeat with remaining tortillas and cheese.
- Place 3 oz chipotles in adobo sauce (including the sauce), ¾ cup mayonnaise (I use Canola mayo), juice of 1 lime, and ½ tsp. salt in blender and puree until smooth. These peppers are potent, so adjust the amount to your liking! Extra sauce can be used on sandwiches, grilled corn or roasted veggies.
- Top each tortilla with sweet potato mixture and a drizzle of chipotle sauce.