A chilled carrot and black rice salad is perfect with this yummy blackened salmon.
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1 pinch of paprika
- Parchment paper
- 1 small zucchini, cut into ½-inch slices
- 2 pattypan squashes, quartered
- ¼ cup olive bar offerings (sun dried tomatoes, olives, peppers, garlic, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 ounces salmon, skinless
- 1 lemon wedge
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- ¼ avocado, skin on
Carrot and Black Rice Salad:
- 1 squeeze of lemon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup black rice, cooked
- ½ cup store-bought julienned carrots
- 3 to 4 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
- 5 to 10 capers
- ½ green onion, thinly sliced
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, create your seasoning mix by combining the garlic and chili powders, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, and paprika. Set aside.
- Prepare the parchment paper by folding a large, 18 inch-long piece in half and cutting it into an oval.
- Place the zucchini, squash, and olive bar mixture onto one half of the parchment and drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Top with the salmon. Sprinkle the salmon with the seasoning mixture.
- Fold the parchment paper over the salmon and vegetables. Seal the edges together by folding it closed beginning at one corner, working your way to the other corner making small folds over and over.
- Place the parchment pouch on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes on the center rack then remove from the oven, open the parchment, and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, place the salmon and veggies into an airtight container and store in the fridge.
- Place a lemon wedge into an airtight container with the cherry tomatoes and avocado and store in the fridge.
Rice and Carrot Salad
- In a medium bowl, mix the squeeze of lemon, salt, pepper, honey, garlic, and olive oil together until fully combined. Add the cooked black rice and carrots to the bowl. Toss until fully incorporated.
- In an airtight container, top the rice and carrot salad with the tomatoes, olives, feta, capers and green onion and store in the fridge.
Holly Erickson, The Modern Proper