With the temperatures hitting 85+ degrees here in cool, green Asheville; even the most energetic fitness enthusiasts can become lethargic. Here are some tips to help keep your energy and fitness levels high when you just can’t handle the heat!
- Find the AC – There are plenty of fitness opportunities that will keep you cool. Your local gym, training studio and rock-climbing center will all have you feeling nice and cool while you’re sweating buckets!
- Seek out the Water – Swimming is a fabulous workout and a great way to stay cool. Kayaking, paddle-boarding, and water skiing are all fun sports that will keep your temperature down. Zen Tubing, while not really a sport is also a ton of fun!
- Head to the Mountains – Often you can escape the heat by heading to elevation and the shade on the trails from the tree canopies. Also, the best view is at the top!
- Ride Your Bike – Biking is a great workout and since you’re riding at fast speeds, the air moving over your body will keep you cooler than say a run in the heat.
- Dawn or Dusk – Plan your workouts or hikes, walks early in the morning or late in the evening to escape the heat of the day.
- Wear the Right Gear – Choose gear that wicks away moisture which will help to keep you cool while exercising. Avoid cotton.
- Drink Water – Staying hydrated will help you feel cool. Pouring water over your head like elite marathoners do also works to keep your core temperature down when working out in the heat.
- Find your Pace – Your body is already working overtime to manage the heat so it’s typically not a good idea to push the pace on a hot day. Just moving and getting through the workout is accomplishment enough!
Happy Summer Exercising!