This core strength exercise, called the superman, can help strengthen your lower back. Don’t hold your breath – try to keep it steady and even. If you have never done this exercise start at the beginner level and work your way to advanced.
- Lie on your stomach with a rolled towel or small pillow under your hips to support your back. You might also use a folded towel to supports your head. Tighten your abdominal muscles.
- Raise your right arm off the floor and hold for 3 deep breaths. Lower your right arm and repeat with your left arm.
- Raise your right leg off the floor and hold for 3 deep breaths. Lower your right leg and repeat with your left leg.
- Raise right arm and left leg at the same time. Hold for 3 deep breaths and repeat raising left arm and right leg at the same time.
- Raise arms and legs together. Make sure to keep belly tight and keep the crunch out of your low back.